Discussion was had about the benefits of an effective wetland or sediment trap - What is the nutrient loss mitigation possible from a well-designed system? What does a well-designed system look like and what is the difference in design for solving Phosphorus/sediment vs Nitrogen issues?
We heard from farmers who have installed wetlands/sediment traps - What is the cost and effort involved? And what is their advice to others interested in developing their own system.
Discussions by experts covered:
- Soil mapping and understanding
- Water and Contaminant pathways
- Pomahaka Water Care Group
- Catchment history, land use and catchment load.
- Future use of nutrients, relation to soil test and nutrient recommendations.